Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
OH How simple this is and yet fit for a Queen or King and their court!!! Simple and decadent at the same time, for adults and children alike. A lovely, light, dessert to end any meal whether in Africa, USA, or any other country. Lovely! Adopted from the U of Penn African cookbook
- 8 medium bananas, in half lengthwise and then crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, and
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup orange, julce with
- 3 tablespoons Curacao or 3 tablespoons apricot brandy, or
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons shredded coconut or 4 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 4 ounces sweetened sour cream
- brown sugar, as a garnish
- Cut 8 medium BANANAS in half lengthwise and then crosswise.
- Blend: 1/4 cup SUGAR and
- 1 teaspoons CINNAMON and
- Dip the bananas in this mixture until coated.
- Place the four quarters cut side down, side by side, in a 9-inch round or square ovenproof dish.
- Blend: 1 cup ORANGE JUlCE with
- 3 Tbs. CURACAO or APRICOT BRANDY.
- Pour juice over all the bananas.
- Bake at 350' for 20 minutes, basting with the juice if required.
- Sprinkle 4 Tbs. SHREDDED COCONUT or CHOPPED PEANUTS over the top.
- Serve piping hot directly from baking dish.
- Pass a bowl of SWEETENED SOUR CREAM (use brown sugar) as a garnish.
Great dessert. I used the curacao with this. We really enjoyed the topping on this too. The neighbors and us enjoyed this little treat this evening.The coconut was a nice touch too. And yes, it went well with vanilla ice cream. Made for I Recommend Tag.
I didn't use the sour cream garnish, but imagine that would be delicious. This was so yummy, I promised myself I would only eat half a banana, but ended up eating a whole one! I'll make sure I have some ice cream next time, and be totally decadent! Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT.
Great little treat, and it is very simple to make. I used some toasted coconut that I had left over from a different recipe and that with the chopped peanuts sent this to the top. Something sweet like this that only takes 5 minutes to throw together is a recipe that has many uses, and I ususally always have these ingredients on hand. I could easily see this with vanilla ice cream as well!! Made for ZWT-7.