Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is a wonderful twist from the traditional strawberry shortcake. If you like bananas, you may just love this! 8)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
- 1 cup banana, puree
- 4 1⁄2 cups heavy cream (divided use)
- 2 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, packed tight
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 5 bananas, peeled &, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Sift into mixing bowl flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Carefully stir in banana puree to make damp dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll 1 inch thick.
- Cut into 2 1/2-inch circles with a floured cutter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until about 30 minutes, until golden.
- Combine the 2 1/2 cups cream and brown sugar in heavy saucepan.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes (do not scorch).
- Let cool about 10 minutes.
- While cooling, whip the rest of the cream and granulated sugar together until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, stir the rum& and banana liqueur into the warm sauce.
- Split the biscuits and place on individual plates.
- Top with the banana slices, drizzle with some sauce, and then whipped cream.