Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Easy and elegant. Tastes just like a trip to New Orleans.
- 4 bananas, halved and peeled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Melt butter in skillet over med. heat.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add pineapple juice.
- Put sliced bananas in pan with sugar mixture and cook on both sides for about one minute each, basting with sugar mixture.
- Remove bananas to a plate. Bring sugar mixture to a bubbling boil. Turn off heat and add rum.
- If mixture does not ignite, light carefully with a stick lighter and let burn until all alcohol has burned off. (About 1-2 minutes or so)
- Add bananas back to pan and spoon sauce over them once more.
- Serve over vanilla ice cream, waffles, pancakes, or just eat plain. You also can throw some pecans in before adding back the bananas, if you like.