Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These mini muffins have a mild rum and cinnamon flavor of traditional Bananas Foster. I am posting the recipe as written from The Party Girl Cookbook but you may want to reduce the amount of glaze in half as it makes more than necessary. If you want a strong rum flavor eat them right after they have cooled down. I prefer them the second and third day- when you don't even notice the rum. They are very tender and moist.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 8 tablespoons dark rum (divided use)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon into a large bowl. Combine bananas,brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, milk, 2 tablespoons rum, and egg in medium bowl. Mix into dry ingredients.
- Fill greased mini-muffin pans 3/4 full.
- Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. While muffins are baking, dissolve the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cinnamon into the remaining 6 tablespoons rum. Brush the glaze onto the muffins while still warm in the pan. Cool the muffins on a rack.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for longer storage.
I did not make the glaze but added 2TBSP rum to the batter as well as 1 TSP vanilla and a pinch of nutmeg. It made 12 standard size delicious muffins after baking 40 mins. They freeze well. Thanks for the great recipe. I will make them again!
These where fabulous muffins!!! I did however change the recipe a bit. First off I veganized it, being I am a vegan. This included using regular soy milk instead of milk, non diary margarine instead of butter and an egg replacement powder instead of egg. I also added nutmeg and vanilla to the batter as well as walnuts on top and I used powdered sugar for the glaze. I think I also added ginger to the glaze. They turned out really well. Thanks for sharing!!!
These are wonderfully flavored muffins. Very moist and tender on the inside with a great texture. I couldn't use the glaze because I can't use sugar and Splenda just disolves in any liquid. I did add the rum to the batter though. I made them as (small) full sized muffins and the recipe for 18 mini muffins gave me 10 standard muffins. Made for Photo Tag.