I concocted this recipe uses Brennen's Recipe for Bananas Foster. Brennen's Restaurant in New Orleans is where the dessert was created, so this is authentic. Give it a try--it's perfect for brunch and the presentation is spectacular (prepare the sauce where your guests can see).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the eggs, milk and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl and whisk together until well incorporated. Set aside.
- 2Heat the pan you will be using to make the french toast over Med-Low flame.
- 3Combine the butter, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a separate flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- 4Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum.
- 5Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum.
- 6Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum.
- 7When the flames subside, remove from heat.
- 8Coat the French Toast pan with about 2 TBSP of oil or butter.
- 9Generously dip both sided of the French bread in the egg mixture, allowing the bread to soak up and much liquid as possible.
- 10Place in the skillet with hot oil or butter and cook until browned on both sides, flipping half-way through.
- 11Repeat this process for all of the French Bread. You can cook as many pieces at a time as will fit in your pan.
- 12To serve, place two slices of french toast on a plate. Lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of French Toast. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the French toast and serve immediately. Sprinkle with Confectioners Sugar, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bananas Foster French Toast *authentic*
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 960.1
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 297.0 mg
- Sodium 979.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 68.1 g
- Protein 21.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: