Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
2010 Christmas with Southern Living
Make and share this Bananas Foster Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 firm ripe bananas, sliced
Brown Sugar Rum Glaze
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- cinnamon stick
- purchased praline
- Cake: preheat oven to 350°; beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape the bowl as needed.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Pour batter into 3 (8 inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray for baking.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of pan; cool cake layers in pans of wire racks for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze: bring brown sugar, corn syrup, and 3 tablespoons water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sugar dissolves; stir in butter, rum, and cinnamon.
- Frosting: beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth; stir in milk and vanilla.
- Pierce cake layers with a wooden pick; drizzle with Brown Sugar Rum Glaze; let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup frosting on 1 cake layer; arrange half of banana slices over frosting.
- Repeat procedures with a second cake layer, 1/4 cup frosting, and remaining half of banana slices.
- Top with third cake layer; frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Garnish, if desired.
ERMAHGERD this cake is delicious. I loved the slightly-rummy 'foster' sauce soaking the cake with the tangy cream cheese icing, and the cake on its own would be tasty stuff. My husband thought the icing was a bit much, so if your loved ones don't like super-sweet desserts you might want to stick with the rum sauce only. I will definitely make this again!