Recipe by Nursebarb
This was in a Southern Living Magazine - sounded divine! It is credited to Cafe Reconcile in New Orleans with flavors that "are destinctive in the original Brennan's Restaurant recipe for Bananas Foster." Anybody who has Brennan's Bananas Foster will tell you how WONDERFUL they are. I did not see a similar one on Zaar, so I am posting it - hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Dbuoy
I have kept this recipe for years in my Thanksgiving recipe book, and finally made it and it was outstanding! Everyone wanted the recipe and said it was the best bread pudding they have had!
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon banana extract
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups stale French bread cubes
Bread Pudding Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together first 6 ingredients for pudding in large bowl.
- Heat milk and butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat until melted, stirring constantly (do not boil).
- Stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture gradually into egg mixture, add to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Place bread cubes in a highly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread; press bread to absorb mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Bread Pudding Sauce:.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and remaining ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat.