Recipe by Doreen Randal
Baked Custard with Bananas
Top Review by sprue
this was ok. not as custardy as i was hoping. also it is better cold and even better the second day..i put some vanilla in it. we wished we would have put some nuts and maybe a bit more sugar.. it wasnt very sweet. but a good way to get some old bread used up. thanks
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 bananas
- 6 slices bread, thin sliced, buttered
- 2 ounces sultanas
- 1 pint milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a med-sized baking dish with butter.
- Peel the bananas and cut into rounds.
- Halve the bread slices Put layers of the bread, bananas and sultanas in the baking dish, ending with a layer of bread.
- In a small pan heat milk over moderate heat. Beat the eggs, egg-yolks and sugar together.
- Slowly pour in the milk, stirring continuously.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture into the baking dish and leave to stand 30 minutes.
- Dust the pudding with nutmeg.
- Cook in at 190 C for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.