Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe I have had around for a long time, it makes a great birthday cake, also makes one 13x9 cake
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 med)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease 2 8-in round baking pans, or 1 13x9-in baking pan.
- FOR CAKE: In a small bowl, combine, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well, add brown sugar and beat until thick and light.
- Stir in vanilla and bananas.
- In a small bowl, whip cream.
- Beat half of the flour mixture into the eggs.
- Continue beating at low speed until blended.
- Add whippd cream, and then remaining flour mixture.
- Fold in pecans.
- Divide batter between 2 round 8-in pans.
- Bake for 35 mins, or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 mins, remove from pan; cool completely.
- CREAM CHEESE ICING: Combine cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Beat until creamy.
- Add icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Fill and frost cake.
This cake was delicious! Next time I will cut the frosting to 1/2 though since it made alot! Thanks!
This is a very unique cake recipe. Personally, I found it to be quite nice - not too sweet, not too heavy. I also found the flavour developed nicer after a day. I had taken this to work for a co-worker's birthday. Of the 8 people that accepted a slice, only 1 person made a comment about how good it was. I found that to be particularly rude. But, I also thought it was an interesting commentary on the cake since everyone is usually gushing about my homebaked treats. So, I think it comes down to this being a more old-fashioned, dense cake & maybe not the light & airy cakes that people are used to these days.
Rave reviews from all the men in my house! I used a bundt pan and halved the frosting. Was just the right amount.