Recipe by thesinglebite
I like to think of this as a cross between oatmeal and a muffin. It's packed with nutrients from the fruit, flaxseed, oats, and nuts... and it's vegan! I purposely use less sweetener so that it can be eaten warm and drizzled with maple syrup or agave. so that it also makes a nutritious and satisfying on-the-go breakfast. Since this holds it's shape when cut, it also makes a perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack.
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or soy milk)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flax with water and set aside (it will thicken upon standing 5-10min).
- In a bowl mix oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl add mashed banana, milk, vanilla, agave and flax mixture. Stir to thoroughly combine and then add to oat mixture. Stir everything together.
- Pour half the batter into a lightly greased 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries and nuts over it and then pour remain batter over, smoothing out as needed.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes so it can set. You can cut this into 6. Or 4 large servings if you prefer.