Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my healthy twist on Lunch Box Muffins, originally posted by JellyBeans. I hoped with a little tweaking here and there I could make it even healthier than it already was. I really enjoy these after they cool.
- 1 cup zucchini, grated (I leave the skins on and use the food processor)
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas, I leave it a little lumpy)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Oven at 350°F.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix banana and zucchini. Add egg and applesauce. Combine well.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, oatmeal, salt and walnuts.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, and then cool on rack.
Unfortunately, I and most of my family did not find these very good. They were dry and bland...we could not taste the zucchini or banana at all. We put butter and honey on them, but only helped marginally. I didn't realize until halfway through that these do not have any sweetener in them. I added 2/3 cup date sugar, but I would add a lot more if I make them again. I did substitute canola oil for applesauce, and raisins for the nuts...perhaps those changes made such a negative difference? There are so many other positive reviews, so I encourage you all to try the recipe even though our family didn't like it...lots of others do!
I agree with Cynthia Q. They were not very good at all. Really frustrating to find that out after they were made. Needed sugar or some kind of sweetner. Very bland.
My kids and I loved this recipe. I omitted the applesauce and nuts (didn't have any), added an extra egg, and 1/2 cup raisins. I love that the recipe isn't sweet but I can see how some people would prefer the recipe with honey/sugar. The texture is perfect. Great warm with peanut butter, or a slice of cheese. Will be making these for school lunches!