Recipe by yogi
Wontons filled with banana and cinnamon, fried and served with a coconut-y sauce. Lower fat and sugar version of a recipe I've wanted to try for a while. The banana and sweetened coconut give these plenty of sweetness for me, but you can add 2 T sugar to the banana and 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar to the sauce if you like. Nice snack or dessert. This made just over a dozen wontons, though my bananas were on the small side so I'm guessing it would make 16 with larger bananas.
- wonton wrapper
- 2 bananas, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk (light works well)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring (found by vanilla extract)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make wonton filling by mixing the banana, cinnamon and 1 T coconut in a bowl.
- Lightly mash with a fork as you mix, but leave it a little chunky.
- Set aside.
- Make sauce by putting 3/4 C of coconut milk in a pan and heating on med-high.
- While this is heating, mix remaining 1/4 C coconut milk with cornstarch till smooth.
- Add to pan and stir constantly till thickened a bit and starting to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 C coconut flakes and coconut flavoring.
- Set aside.
- Place 1 slightly heaping teaspoon of filling on a wonton wrapper.
- Moisten edges of wonton with finger dipped in water and fold it in half to form a triangle.
- Press the edges together firmly.
- Repeat with remaining wontons, keeping folded wontons under a damp towel to prevent from drying.
- Put about a T oil in a fry pan and heat on medium to med/high heat.
- Add wontons in batches to avoid crowding and fry about 2 minutes on each side till lightly browned.
- These can also be deep fried.
- Remove to serving plate and serve with coconut sauce.
- Can be served warm or cold.