Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Wontons filled with banana and cinnamon, fried and served with a coconut-y sauce. Lower fat and sugar version of a recipe I've wanted to try for a while. The banana and sweetened coconut give these plenty of sweetness for me, but you can add 2 T sugar to the banana and 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar to the sauce if you like. Nice snack or dessert. This made just over a dozen wontons, though my bananas were on the small side so I'm guessing it would make 16 with larger bananas.
- wonton wrapper
- 2 bananas, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk (light works well)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring (found by vanilla extract)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- Make wonton filling by mixing the banana, cinnamon and 1 T coconut in a bowl.
- Lightly mash with a fork as you mix, but leave it a little chunky.
- Set aside.
- Make sauce by putting 3/4 C of coconut milk in a pan and heating on med-high.
- While this is heating, mix remaining 1/4 C coconut milk with cornstarch till smooth.
- Add to pan and stir constantly till thickened a bit and starting to bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 C coconut flakes and coconut flavoring.
- Set aside.
- Place 1 slightly heaping teaspoon of filling on a wonton wrapper.
- Moisten edges of wonton with finger dipped in water and fold it in half to form a triangle.
- Press the edges together firmly.
- Repeat with remaining wontons, keeping folded wontons under a damp towel to prevent from drying.
- Put about a T oil in a fry pan and heat on medium to med/high heat.
- Add wontons in batches to avoid crowding and fry about 2 minutes on each side till lightly browned.
- These can also be deep fried.
- Remove to serving plate and serve with coconut sauce.
- Can be served warm or cold.
Added some of the filling to vanilla ice cream and served it with the hot wonton. It's absolutely delicioso.
Delicious, easy to make and not super sweet. A keeper!
Delicious, absolutely awesome, very tasty and a wonderfully easy recipe to follow.