Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
From the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Delicious waffles for breakfast (or for any other meal)!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt in one bowl.
- In another bow, beat egg yolks slightly. Beat in milk, bananas, and oil.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once. Stir just till combined but still slightly lumpy.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into flour mixture, leaving a few puffs of egg white. Do not overmix!
- Pour batter onto pre-heated, lightly greased waffle maker.
- Bake waffles according to manufacturer's directions.
- Serve hot and fresh. I topped mine with butter and syrup, and they were delicious!
We loved these! Made half a recipe since we don't have many mouths to feed here. Modifications: Added a splash of lemon juice for brighter flavor and less banana-browning. Used coconut milk beverage because of milk allergies, reduced nutmeg to a shake or two and added cinnamon. I made the recipe for waffles the first time (loved them) and for pancakes. When I made pancakes, I made the above modifications plus added half an apple, finely chopped, and substituted apple sauce for the oil. Delicious!
Very good, light waffles! I made mine healthier by subbing natural applesauce for the oil with no problems. Next time, I'll add some cinnamon and cut down to a shake or two of nutmeg, which seemed a bit overpowering. Thanks SarahBee for posting this!