Recipe by PDX Meems
These are great for when you want a sweet treat. Not as sweet as cupcakes, yet sweeter than most "healthy" muffins (due to the bananas), these are perfect any time! The recipe is from Veganomicon.
Top Review by Andreadmb
I really enjoyed these! I did not have soymilk so I did substitute organic 2% milk with good results. (I am not vegan but was looking for something healthy and using wheat germ). Passed the real taste test around here- my husband and 2 kids both liked them too! Oh yes- I added 1/2 cup of raisins just to give them a little something extra.
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray (or use foil muffin liners--much easier).
- Pour the soy milk into a measuring cup and add the vinegar to it. Set it aside to curdle.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add the soy milk mixture to the bowl along with the oil, sugar, and vanilla, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Add this to the banana mixture and use a wooden spoon to gently stir the ingredients, until all the dry ingredients are just moistened (do not over-stir!).
- Fill the muffin cups three-quarters full and bake for 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and, once cool enough to handle, transfer to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way. You can also serve them warm.