1/1 Photo of Banana-walnut Upside-down Cake
1 hr 20 mins
This cake is simple to make, looks fabulous, and tastes positively delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled,cut diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices (you may need up to 5 bananas)
- 1For topping: Preheat oven to 325F.
- 2Combine sugar and butter in medium saucepan.
- 3Stir over low heat until butter melts and mixture is well blended.
- 4Pour into 9-inch diameter cake pan.
- 5Spread to coat bottom of pan.
- 6Pour maple syrup over sugar mixture.
- 7Sprinkle nuts evenly over.
- 8Place banana slices in concentric circles on nuts, overlapping slightly, and covering bottom.
- 9For cake: Stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- 10Beat sugar and butter in another bowl until creamy.
- 11Add egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
- 12Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk in 3 additions.
- 13Spoon batter over bananas.
- 14Bake until tester comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- 15Transfer cake to rack.
- 16Run knife around pan sides.
- 17Cool cake on rack 25 minutes.
- 18Place cake plate over pan; invert cake.
- 19Let stand 3 minutes, then gently lift off pan.
- 20Serve warm with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana-walnut Upside-down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.4
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 63.0 mg
- Sodium 311.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 49.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g