Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This cake is simple to make, looks fabulous, and tastes positively delicious.
Make and share this Banana-walnut Upside-down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled,cut diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices (you may need up to 5 bananas)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- For topping: Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine sugar and butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until butter melts and mixture is well blended.
- Pour into 9-inch diameter cake pan.
- Spread to coat bottom of pan.
- Pour maple syrup over sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over.
- Place banana slices in concentric circles on nuts, overlapping slightly, and covering bottom.
- For cake: Stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Beat sugar and butter in another bowl until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk in 3 additions.
- Spoon batter over bananas.
- Bake until tester comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack.
- Run knife around pan sides.
- Cool cake on rack 25 minutes.
- Place cake plate over pan; invert cake.
- Let stand 3 minutes, then gently lift off pan.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
OMGOSH...If i could give this 10 stars I would. Easy to make and super delish. My family loves it. I cant wait to make it for my husband when he gets home from afghanistan!!!! I am sharing this recipe with my sister also. Thanks for posting
Very good cake. I also reduced the sugar. Thanks for posting.