Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 firm ripe banana, for slicing
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 10 inch tube pan; dust with flour, tapping out excess, and set aside.
- Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- To make banana batter, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer on high until light. Gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in sour cream, mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Change mixer speed to low and beat in the flour mixture just until blended.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Scatter half of the walnut and sugar sprinkle over the batter.
- Thinly slice the third banana over the batter.
- Top with remaining batter and scatter rest of walnut and sugar sprinkle over top.
- Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, when skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Carefully loosen the cake from the sides then invert onto wire rack turning right side up.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, if desired.