Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I got off the side of a sugar bag. I haven't made it but it sounds so good.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl cream together the sugar and the butter; add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Beat in mashed bananas and vanilla and continue beating until mixture is smooth.
- In a large measuring cup stir baking soda into the buttermilk and add it to the banana mixture along with the flour and chopped nuts.
- Stir the batter until it is just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake for one hour or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the bread to a rack and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn it out onto a rack and let it cool completely.
I used whole wheat flour, demerara sugar & added 2 tbls flax seed meal & 1 tbls chai spice blend seasoning, and it is excellent! Next time I will try allspice, but you can take this already excellent recipe & bend it in many directions.
This banana bread had a really great flavour with the added buttermilk, I love the idea. My b/f absolutely loved it, but I would have liked it better if it was a little less sweet. It was likely my fault for being over sweet because I added a handful of chocolate chips instead of nuts. I think I would prefer doing half brown sugar and half white next time. I'll give it a try because I will definitely be making this again. It took an extra half hour to bake than the time given. It turned out fantastically moist. Thanks for the recipe!!
The only reason I am giving this 4 stars is that it rec'd mixed reviews from my household. Even though he liked this, my husband prefers the more bread-y texture of my regular recipe. But I absolutely love this recipe so much more! It is so moist, and very flavorful, the banana taste is excellent. I thought it was going to be too sweet, and it probably could use a little less sugar if you are looking to cut down, but it was very good as is.