Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
It's a comfort food:
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp, pulse more for preparing the pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts (optional)
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together in a liquid measuring cup with a spout; set aside.
- Lightly brush a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with butter. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand-held mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the butter while mixing until incorporated. Add the bananas (the mixture will appear to be curdled, so don't worry) and remove the bowl from the mixer.
- With a rubber spatula, mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the nuts and transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes turn the bread out of the pan and let it cool completely on the rack. Wrap in plastic wrap. the banana bread is best the next day.