Recipe by Maryland Jim
I found this in the newspaper, which said it was from "The Bon Appetit Cookbook". This recipe usually makes 2 loaves.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 6)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt twice into medium bowl; set aside. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, shortening, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, in 2 additions each.
- Stir in mashed bananas and nuts. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool loaves completely in pans on rack.
- Wrap loaves tightly in aluminum foil. Store at room temperature at least 2 day and up to 3 days.