Recipe by Ha1771
These are really soft, chewey bagels!
Top Review by e2342664
Okay this recipe has a mistake in it. Specifically the salt and banana ingredients. You need way more banana and you only need 2 teaspoons of salt; not 2 tablespoons as the recipe reads. Bagel consistency is great just needs more banana flavor and less salt. <br/><br/>Good luck and may the odds be ever in your flavor.
- 3 bananas
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- combine yeast, water, and sugar in bowl of electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Mix to combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
- When the yeast is foamy, add all of the mashed bananas and nuts.
- Mix until combined.
- Add all of the salt and the flour 1/2 cup at a time until 4 cups have been added.
- Add another half cup and mix with a spoon.
- Add the final half cup and mix.
- Dough will be sticky, but firmer than regualar bread dough.
- Dump all onto a floured surface and kneed for 10 minutes until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Form into a ball and let rise in a greased bowl for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide into 12 portions.
- Roll the dough into a 6 inch log and pinch together the ends.
- Put onto a lightly greased surface and continue until all 12 are finished.
- Cover with a clean towel and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring to a boil 12 cups of water with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Drop 4 bagels in at a time and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove to a baking sheet lined with cornmeal.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 450, then lower to 350 and bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on how you like your bagels.