1/4 Photos of Banana Waffles With Toasted Pecans
This recipe is like a cross between crisp waffles and warm banana bread. I like my waffles crispy and the amount of butter in this batter gives these wonderful waffles a nice crisp. Beverage Recommendation: The toasted pecans and the sweet waffles pair nicely with a frothy cafe con leche (steamed milk added to a shot of espresso) or a mug of your favorite java.
My Private Note
4" Waff ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup pecans, lightly toasted (see Step One in directions below)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 large ripe bananas, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 small banana, sliced into discs for topping
- maple syrup, warmed for serving
- 1Preheat oven to 350° and preheat waffle iron.
- 2Place pecans in a pie plate or on a baking sheet and spread out so that they are not touching. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and golden. Remove from oven and let cool. Coarsely chop and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 225°.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix milk, melted butter and egg yolks. Slowly stir the liquid into the dry ingredients until JUST moistened - lumps are okay. Fold the 1/2" banana pieces into the batter.
- 4In a clean bowl with a hand mixer, beat or whisk the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Increase the speed to high and beat or whisk until firm peaks form and hold their shape. Sprinkle both sugars in bowl and beat or whisk until the whites are stiff and glossy. Fold the whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
- 5Oil, spray or butter the waffle iron. Ladle batter onto each section of the grid rather than placing it in the middle. The grids should be full but not overflowing, or the batter will seep out the sides of the iron when the top is closed. Bake until the waffle is golden, about 6 minutes, depending on the iron. Carefully lift the lid; if the waffles resist at all, they need a bit more cooking time. Transfer the waffle to an oven rack to keep warm. Continue to cook the remaining batter in 3 batches. There should be no need to re-grease the iron between waffles.
- 6Place waffles on plates and serve with the toasted pecans, banana slices and warmed maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Waffles With Toasted Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (1369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.8
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.2 mg
- Sodium 130.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g