This recipe was recommended by a friend who lives for curry when I was after a recipe to deal with excess bananas. It's a different kind of curry and easy to make
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas, split and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sultanas or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk (or rice milk or soy milk for vegans)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- white wine
- Use bananas that are ripe but not mushy.
- Saute the onion in a bit of white wine.
- Heat the coconut milk over a medium-high flame.
- Add the spices, coconut, and raisins and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the bananas, and continue to cook until the bananas are hot (stir lightly so they don't disintegrate.) Add the tofu, and milk as needed to thin out the sauce.
- As soon as the tofu is hot this is ready to serve.
- Heating and stirring beyond that point can turn this into a tasty mush.
- Serve with basmati rice, with a side of nuts, raisins, and chutney.