Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was recommended by a friend who lives for curry when I was after a recipe to deal with excess bananas. It's a different kind of curry and easy to make
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas, split and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sultanas or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk (or rice milk or soy milk for vegans)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- white wine
- Use bananas that are ripe but not mushy.
- Saute the onion in a bit of white wine.
- Heat the coconut milk over a medium-high flame.
- Add the spices, coconut, and raisins and stir thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the bananas, and continue to cook until the bananas are hot (stir lightly so they don't disintegrate.) Add the tofu, and milk as needed to thin out the sauce.
- As soon as the tofu is hot this is ready to serve.
- Heating and stirring beyond that point can turn this into a tasty mush.
- Serve with basmati rice, with a side of nuts, raisins, and chutney.
I really liked the flavor of this, especially with the raisins added, and it was easy to make using ingredients I already had on hand. I will definitely make this dish again, but perhaps next time try using less ripe bananas for a firmer texture. I made this for a party I hosted and one of my friends didn't care for the texture of it. I sent a sampling home with another friend who is a vegetarian so I will wait to hear their feedback. I didn't have white wine so I used a little coconut oil to saute the onions. I made the dish with basmati rice using a vegetarian broth and a little olive oil, per instructions on the back of the bag. It was good on the rice! My husband and I just had the leftovers and it was even better the second day!
I actually thought this was a lovely dish. Really interesting and different. Rich and delicious. Good colour and really quick and easy to make.
Not a huge fan. It is creative and has a lot of flavours, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I like the banana bit actually, and the sweetness... but the tofu does nothing for me (actually takes away from the sweetness and flavours of the dish), and generally it's not very "scrumptious" and I didn't even want to eat my whole serving. Very interesting recipe, and i'm glad I tried it... but probably won't make it again.