Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are rich and melt in your mouth - very much like a banana cake. Toffee and banana go so well together. I think these would also be good using almond extract. These are fabulous for a coffee break, dessert or a sinful breakfast. You can use any brand of toffee pieces such as Skor or Heath, just make sure they are not chocolate covered. ***NOTE: I wrote out the amounts for the sugar in the bars and the butter in the icing because Food.com wasn't recognizing "1/3". Hence, these amounts are not included in the nutritional value***
For the bars
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- one and one-third cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 236.59 ml mashed banana (about 3)
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml toffee pieces
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds, for topping (optional)
- 118.29 ml toffee pieces, for topping (optional)
For the Browned Butter Icing
- one-third cup butter
- 591.47 ml sifted powdered sugar
- 14.79-59.16 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- For the Bars.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Beat the butter in an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds. Beat in the sugar until fluffy - about 1 minute, scraping bowl as needed.
- Beat in the egg, mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla until very well combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add dry mixture to wet and mix together, scraping bowl as needed until well combined. Stir in 3/4 C toffee pieces.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes (at 350) or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool 20-30 minutes before icing.
- For the Icing.
- In a small saucepan heat one-third cup butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until the butter turns a light brown. This may take a few minutes. Remove from heat; pour into a medium bowl.
- Add 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 t. vanilla and 1 T. milk. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium to high speed, adding enough milk to make frosting of spreading consistency. I usually add 2 more tablespoons milk.
- Use icing immediately.
Excellent bar cake, made to have with afternoon coffee with fave aunt. Was a hit. I toasted my almonds.