1/3 Photos of Banana Toffee Bars W/ Browned Butter Icing
These are rich and melt in your mouth - very much like a banana cake. Toffee and banana go so well together. I think these would also be good using almond extract. These are fabulous for a coffee break, dessert or a sinful breakfast. You can use any brand of toffee pieces such as Skor or Heath, just make sure they are not chocolate covered. ***NOTE: I wrote out the amounts for the sugar in the bars and the butter in the icing because Food.com wasn't recognizing "1/3". Hence, these amounts are not included in the nutritional value***
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- one and one-third cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup toffee pieces
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, for topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup toffee pieces, for topping (optional)
For the Browned Butter Icing
- 1For the Bars.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- 3Beat the butter in an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds. Beat in the sugar until fluffy - about 1 minute, scraping bowl as needed.
- 4Beat in the egg, mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla until very well combined.
- 5In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add dry mixture to wet and mix together, scraping bowl as needed until well combined. Stir in 3/4 C toffee pieces.
- 6Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes (at 350) or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool 20-30 minutes before icing.
- 7For the Icing.
- 8In a small saucepan heat one-third cup butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until the butter turns a light brown. This may take a few minutes. Remove from heat; pour into a medium bowl.
- 9Add 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 t. vanilla and 1 T. milk. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium to high speed, adding enough milk to make frosting of spreading consistency. I usually add 2 more tablespoons milk.
- 10Use icing immediately.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Toffee Bars W/ Browned Butter Icing
Serving Size: 1 (1142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.7
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 71.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: