Recipe by Cook'n Cowgirl
This was a recipe I created as an option other than banana bread for over ripe bananas. It's a full flavor, dense, coffee cake that can be served for brunches or a relaxed dessert after dinner. It's golden color and sweet aroma makes it a great option for banana bread lovers.
Top Review by Lelandra
Wow! This was amazing. So well balanced in flavors, richness, sweetness, spiciness, texture - all perfect. An old-fashioned kind of technique that will be very adaptable to other kinds of fruit as well. The only adaptation I made to make it gluten free was to use a GF flour mix and it all worked out fine. I was a little worried that the batter was too thin, and that there was too much sugar, but I made it according to the recipe and the result was perfect.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar plus 1/4 for sprinkling over banana
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soda dissolved in milk
- 2 -3 bananas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour 9x13 pan.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Stir in oil with a fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Remove 1 cup of the crumbs and set aside to use for a topping.
- Stir egg and milk-soda mixture into dry ingredients.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Slice banana's into halves then slice halves lengthwise into about 4 slices per half.
- Place on top of batter in pan, sprinkle bananas with brown sugar and then top with reserved crumbs.
- Bake for 40-45 minute.