Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift flour with baking powder, soda and salt.
- Keep aside.
- Cream shortening until light.
- Then, add sugar gradually continuing to cream until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add flour mixture alternately with bananas beginning and ending with flour.
- Spoon into a well-greased loaf pan and bake about 1 hr 10 min until loaf pulls slightly from sides of pan and is springy to the touch.
- Cool upright in pan for 10 min then turn out on a wire rack and cool before slicing.
Wanted a very easy recipe for guests in the afternoon...and this was it! Very easy and simple. I did make some alterations though. Instead of using all white sugar, I substitute half of the specified amount with brown sugar. It gave a nice rich brown texture. Also, instead of shortening, I used half butter and half vegetable oil. Tasted very good. Thank you for posting it. A definite 5 star rating!
I chose this recipe because it could be halved easily- I only had 2 bananas. What a good choice! Light, fluffy texture, subtle banana flavor...in short, delicious! Changes: I added a bit of cinnamon and about 1/4 cup chopped pecans. I baked 6 muffins at 350F for about 23 minutes.