Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This was my grandma's recipe. She got it back in 1955, from a local church cookbook in Great Neck, NY. This is really good! Prep time is approximate.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 1⁄2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Beat shortening until creamy.
- Add sugar gradually and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with bananas, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Turn into a well-greased bread pan (8 1/2x4 1/2x3 inches).
- Bake at 300 degrees, about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until bread is done.
- Note: Use fully ripe bananas, yellow peel flecked with brown.
I had a cookbook given to me in 1965 and that recipe is in it.I have been making it since then.Sometimes I add nuts in it.