Entered for safe-keeping. From Mary Wagner, Salt Lake City, Utah, as submitted to BH&G. As written, the recipe seems to be dry, so I recommend that 2 teaspoons of orange juice be added with the egg yolks in step 5 as recommended by a reviewer.
- In a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes, covered, in enough boiling salted water to cover for 30-40 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel potatoes; mash on low speed of electric mixer (do not add butter or milk).
- Add banana, butter or margarine, lemon peel, and salt. Beat until fluffy.
- Add yolks; beat well. Carefully fold stiff-beaten egg whites into potato mixture; turn into a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 25 minutes.