Recipe by rsarahl
A fun twist on an old favorite. Kid friendly, but equally impressive as an elegant dessert for a dinner party. Hope you enjoy this dessert creation as much as we do... Give these yummy treats a try!
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
OMG!!! This was absolutely fabulous!! I wish I could give it 10 stars!! I made it again, and to please my kids, I used chocolate pudding instead of the custard. And the 2nd time, I used only 2 bananas and added fresh sliced strawberries. Wonderful!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large bananas
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 large marshmallows, cut in half or 32 mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Custard Sauce: In a medium heavy saucepan, bring milk to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, cornstarch and salt until pale yellow.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture, return to saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until custard coats the back of a spoon.
- Transfer to a clean bowl, cool to room temperature and refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare Egg Rolls: Peel bananas; quarter lengthwise.
- Lay egg roll wrappers on a flat surface with point facing you.
- Arrange 2 banana quarters on center of wrapper.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon chocolate chips and 1 large marshmallow that's been halved or 4 mini marshmallows.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Fold and seal as directed on egg roll package.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- In a deep skillet, pour oil 2 inches deep.
- Heat to 365 degrees F.
- Fry banana rolls one at a time, for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Drain well on paper towels; keep warm in a 250 degree F oven until all are fried.
- Serve warm with custard sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.