Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This breakfast treat begins with rich egg bread, adds ripe bananas and toasted almonds, and finishes with cinnamon streusel. Use pure maple syrup to top of thsi hearty morning meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 6 slices challah (1 1/2 inch thick) or 6 slices egg bread (1 1/2 inch thick)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups thinly sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- maple syrup, for serving
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the 2 Tbsp sugar and water and stir until the sugar dissolves. Continue, stirring until the mixture is foamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the bananas; cook until the bananas are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a small bowl and let cool. The bananas can be prepared up to 4 hours ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Using a sharp knife, cut a 2-inch long slit in one side of each bread slice, cutting 3/4th of the way through the bread to make a pocket. divide the banana mixture equally among the pockets in the bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and the 1/2 cup sugar. Whisk until blended.
- Pour into a large glass baking dish. Place the bread slices in the egg mixture and soak for 10 minutes, turning several times.
- Put the almonds in a shallow bowl. Using a slotted metal spatula, transfer a slice of the bread to the bowl of almonds and coat both sides with the almonds.
- Place the bread on a large insulated baking sheet or two stacked baking sheets.
- To make the streusel in a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon together. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until moist clumps form.
- Sprinkle the topping over the bread.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is hot, about 25 minutes.
- If you would like to feeze the french toast, let cool, wrap in aluminum foil and freeze. To reheat, place the foil packages on a baking sheet in a preheated 350°F oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the toast to warm plates and serve hot, with Maple syrup.