Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely banana bread with a tasty topping.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt (or vanilla, coffee, or caramel flavored)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter bottom and sides of an 8-cup loaf pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine 1/3 cup pecans and coconut. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 2/3 cup of pecans, and chocolate (if using). Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, yogurt, and vanilla.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined and the batter is thick and chunky.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the coconut mixture over the top of the batter, lightly pressing into the batter.
- Bake until bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 - 70 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.