Recipe by gardenlady
Bananas and strawberries just go together so well, the bread has to be good. I try to keep things lower fat when I bake, so I used applesauce instead of oil or shortening. The loaves are very moist and delicious. Try them with strawberry preserves or strawberry swirled cream cheese. Brummel and Brown's strawberry yougurt spread is fabulous as well. And it freezes very well.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, mashed (16 ounce box)
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two 8x4x2-inch pans or six 5x3x2-inch pans. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together, set aside.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick and yellow, about four to five minutes. Add granulated sugar, beat 2 minutes. Then add the berries, bananas and applesauce on low speed until combined.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mix, stir until just combined. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F 40-50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans ten minutes. Turn out onto racks, let cool completely before slicing.