Recipe by bmcnichol
A wonderful dessert or breakfast. These also freeze well.
Top Review by Chickee
Tasty and light slice! I did think it was a little too sweet for our palates, but it might have been also that our bananas were very sweet to start off with. I would serve this warm with some ice cream but for the moment it's in our freezer for DH's morning tea!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional)
- sliced banana (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks and mix well.
- Add bananas.
- Combine flour and baking soda and add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and fold in egg whites.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Cool.
- If desired, garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a few banana slices.