These waffles are for days when you feel like having dessert for breakfast. I like to justify them because the only non-natural sugar added is in the chocolate syrup and chips, fruit is good for you! These are a healthier version than the traditional waffle because they use flax instead of egg and the entire recipe is cholesterol-free. I use vegan versions of everything except the whipped cream. I got the basic waffle recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking and modified it. I came up with these one day while experimenting in the kitchen. You could even add nuts to the recipe, if that's how you like your banana splits.
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1⁄4 cup banana, diced
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, sliced
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat Waffle Iron (spray with non-stick spray, if needed).
- In a food processor or blender, whip the flax seed and water together until it reaches a thick and creamy consistency, about 2 minutes. Add the margarine and milk, and whip for another minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients, and pour in the milk mixture. Stir until just combined. Add the chocolate syrup, stir. Fold in chocolate chips, strawberries, and banana.
- Spoon 1/2 cup batter (or the amount recommended for your waffle iron) onto the hot iron. Spread the batter to just within 1/4 inch of the edge of the grids using the back of your spoon or spatula. Close the lid and bake until the waffle is crispy. Serve immediately or keep warm in a single layer on the rack in a 200 degree F oven while you finish cooking the rest (keeping the oven door cracked will help prevent them from getting soggy). Decorate the waffle with toppings.