1/1 Photo of Banana Split Shortcakes
1 hr 12 mins
I found an old 1999 Woman's Day magazine pull-out and they had many different variations of shortcakes. I made all but 4 of them at some point. Here is another winner in my family's eyes. Allow time before serving to assemble the dessert as these have to be put together just a few minutes before serving or the ice cream will melt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart ice cream (either chocolate, strawberry or vanilla ice cream, your choice)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 -1 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1Heat oven to 400°F Chill one cookie sheet and have ready another cookie sheet.
- 2Drop 8 scoops of ice cream onto chilled cookie sheet and place in freezer.
- 3For Strawberry sauce:.
- 4Put sauce ingredients into a small saucepan, stir to mix.
- 5Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- 6Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Pour into a bowl, cool, cover, and refrigerate.
- 8For Shortcakes:.
- 9Mix together the flour, sugar, and the baking powder in a medium bowl.
- 10With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 11Pour 1 c of the lite buttermilk in with the mixture and stir with a spoon until mixture clumps together and is slightly sticky, adding more liquid, a little at a time, if necessary (up to the 1 1/4 cup in total).
- 12(Note: You can mix the shortcake dough in a processor too. Process the dry ingredients briefly to mix and then scatter butter over top and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With motor running, add buttermilk and process just until mixture leaves sides of bowl. Remove blades.).
- 13Drop 8 slightly rounded 1/3 cupfuls of dough 2 inches apart on ungreased
- 14Bake 12 minutes or until slightly puffed, bottoms are brown and tops are golden.
- 15Gently slide cakes onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 16Shortly before serving:.
- 17Split shortcakes in half (using a serrated knife and gentle sawing motion makes it easier and less likely to tear the shortcake).
- 18Place shortcake on dessert plate and top each with a scoop of the ice cream and 2 slices of banana.
- 19Drop a large dollop or pipe some whipped cream onto top of banana.
- 20Garnish with cherries.
- 21Either serve with little pitchers of the strawberry sauce and the hot fudge sauce (already heated) or lightly drizzle each dessert with both sauces.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Split Shortcakes
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.8
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 484.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 51.7 g
- Protein 9.7 g