Recipe by dicentra
From yahoo group. Recipe description: NOTE: Serve over ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate syrup! This also makes a great spread on toast or topping for pancakes or waffles, pound cake or cheesecake, and everything else you can think up. If you don’t like any of the specific classic banana split fruits, of course you can leave it out and increase the other fruits, or replace it with something else. If you don’t like walnuts, use pecans, or no nuts at all. I added banana rum because I had it. You could use another rum, or leave that out altogether.
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups crushed strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed pineapple
- 1 cup halved maraschino cherry
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) packagepowdered pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup banana rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix lemon juice into bananas immediately after mashing to retain the fresh color then combine all the fruit and the pectin in a big pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar (and a dab of butter to reduce foaming). Bring to a rolling boil; boil hard one minute. Remove from heat and add nuts and rum (if using).
- Ladle into jars leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.