A special occasion cake, from, believe it or not Cooking Light (1994). This was a huge hit!! Worth every minute!! (first chill time 1 1/2 hours, 2nd chill time 1 hour)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (8 ounce) cartons low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced ripe banana
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup low sugar strawberry spread (jam)
- 3/4 cup sliced ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1Place colander in a 2 quart glass measure or medium bowl.
- 2Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth.
- 3allowing cheese cloth to extend over outside edges.
- 4Spoon yogurt in colander.
- 5Cover loosely with plastic wrap, chill 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Spoon yogurt cheese into a bowl, discard liquid.
- 7Add powdered sugar, stir well.
- 8Reserve 1 cup yogurt cheese mixture, cover and chill.
- 9Add 3/4 cup thinly sliced banana to remaining yogurt cheese mixture, stir gently.
- 10Cover and chill.
- 11Combine cake flour, baking powder and salt, stir well and set aside.
- 12Beat 3 eggs yolks in a large mixing bowl at high speed of an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- 13Graduallly add 3/4 cup sugar, beating constantly until egg yolks are thick and pale (about 5 minutes).
- 14Add vanilla and 1/4 cup water, beating at low speed until blended.
- 15Add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture, beating at low speed until blended, set aside.
- 16Beat 5 egg whites (at room temperature) at high speed on an electric mixture until foamy.
- 17Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 18Gently stir one fourth of egg white mixture into batter.
- 19Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- 20Coat 2 (9inch) round cakepans with cooking spray and line bottoms with wax paper.
- 21Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- 22Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 23Bake at 375f degrees for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in centre.
- 24Let cool 10 minutes in pan on wire racks.
- 25Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a narrow metal spatula, and turn out onto wire racks.
- 26Peel off wax paper, cool completely.
- 27Place 1 cake layer, top side up, on a serving plate.
- 28Spread evenly with strawberry spread, spoon banana mixture evenly over strawberry spread, and top with remaining cake layer.
- 29Spread evenly with reserved yogurt cheese mixture.
- 30Combine 3/4 cup sliced banana and lemon juice, toss gently.
- 31Drainand discard juice.
- 32Arrange sliced banana on top of cake, sprinkle with walnuts.
- 33Drizzle chocolate over top of cake.
- 34Chill 1 hour.
- 35Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Split Icebox Cake
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.5
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 54.1 mg
- Sodium 122.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 27.6 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sugar strawberry spread