Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A special occasion cake, from, believe it or not Cooking Light (1994). This was a huge hit!! Worth every minute!! (first chill time 1 1/2 hours, 2nd chill time 1 hour)
- 3 (8 ounce) cartons low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced ripe banana
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup low sugar strawberry spread (jam)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- Place colander in a 2 quart glass measure or medium bowl.
- Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth.
- allowing cheese cloth to extend over outside edges.
- Spoon yogurt in colander.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap, chill 1 1/2 hours.
- Spoon yogurt cheese into a bowl, discard liquid.
- Add powdered sugar, stir well.
- Reserve 1 cup yogurt cheese mixture, cover and chill.
- Add 3/4 cup thinly sliced banana to remaining yogurt cheese mixture, stir gently.
- Cover and chill.
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and salt, stir well and set aside.
- Beat 3 eggs yolks in a large mixing bowl at high speed of an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Graduallly add 3/4 cup sugar, beating constantly until egg yolks are thick and pale (about 5 minutes).
- Add vanilla and 1/4 cup water, beating at low speed until blended.
- Add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture, beating at low speed until blended, set aside.
- Beat 5 egg whites (at room temperature) at high speed on an electric mixture until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir one fourth of egg white mixture into batter.
- Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Coat 2 (9inch) round cakepans with cooking spray and line bottoms with wax paper.
- Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 375f degrees for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in centre.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan on wire racks.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a narrow metal spatula, and turn out onto wire racks.
- Peel off wax paper, cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer, top side up, on a serving plate.
- Spread evenly with strawberry spread, spoon banana mixture evenly over strawberry spread, and top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread evenly with reserved yogurt cheese mixture.
- Combine 3/4 cup sliced banana and lemon juice, toss gently.
- Drainand discard juice.
- Arrange sliced banana on top of cake, sprinkle with walnuts.
- Drizzle chocolate over top of cake.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.