One of the best cakes I've ever had. This one isn't made with graham crackers, but is actually a cake. It's not only wonderful tasting, but beautiful too!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 package instant banana pudding mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed,divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed,drained
- 1⁄4 cup hot fudge, warmed (see note)
- 14 maraschino cherries, with stems
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat two 8" cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric beater on medium speed, beat the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs until smooth.
- Stir in the pineapple then pour the batter into the cake pans, dividing equally.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup whipped topping and the strawberries and mix well.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and frost the top with the strawberry mixture.
- Place the second layer over the first then frost the top and sides with the remaining whipped topping.
- Drizzle with hot fudge then place the cherries around the edges of the cake top and sprinkle evenly with the nuts.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
- NOTE: Warm the hot fudge enough to make it pourable, but don't allow it to get too hot or it will melt the"frosting"!