Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yummy dessert. Easy to make.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 -4 bananas
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple
- 9 ounces Cool Whip Topping
- chopped pecans (optional)
- chopped maraschino cherry (optional)
- Prepare 13x9 baking pan.
- Melt one stick of butter and mix with 2 cups graham cracker crumbs. Press into bottom of pan for crust.
- Beat together 2 eggs, 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 sticks of butter(softened). Beat for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture over graham cracker crust.
- Slice 3-4 bananas and place on top of mixture.
- Drain can of pineapple and spread evenly over top of bananas.
- Spread Cool Whip over pineapple.
- Garnish with chopped pecans and cherries if desired.
- Refrigerate for 5-6 or preferably overnite. Serve cool.
When I was growing up, my mother made this every year for my b-day and my brothers. We absolutely adored it. In my old age, the raw eggs freak me out a little too. I too don't know very much about salmonella, but I have made this with organic or country eggs and feel better about it. My mom always sat the cherries on a paper towel before adorning the cake to absorb some of the extra juice so it wouldn't run all over the Cool Whip. When my mom sliced the bananas, she would do it lengthwise and lay them in carefully. The proportions for my mother's cake were a little different, but I'm sure the end result is the same. We used 1 stick butter to form the crust and 4 eggs, 3 C p-sugar, 2 1/2 sticks butter, 1 t vanilla for filling, and 2 10oz containers of Cool Whip for the top. Everything else was the same. If you can get past the raw eggs and aren't afraid of having a heart attack from all the butter and sugar, this really is a delicious cake. Try drizzling a little chocolate syrup over the top.
I have made this for years and years,and everyone that has tasted it agrees that thier mouth really, really likes it!! There is rqw egg in it so I make sure I wash my eggs with soap and water before I crack them open(I don't know if it helps with Salmonela but I feel better about it when I do) and be sure to keep refrigerated. I'm sure your mouth will really,really LOVE it too!