Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is different than all the recipes on zaar. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups room-temperature unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups unbleached self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (21 ounce) can strawberry pie filling
- 1 (21 ounce) can pineapple filling
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- chocolate syrup or hot fudge
- 10 -12 maraschino cherries, with stems on
- Cake: Grease and flour two 10 x 15-inch jelly roll pans or two 9 x 13-inch pans. Our Cake Release Spread works well here.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, butter and flavoring for 2 to 3 minutes, until no lumps of butter remain. Continue beating, adding the eggs one at time, and scraping the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl to make sure everything is evenly mixed. Beat until the batter is light-colored and fluffy. Add the flour alternately with the milk, mixing to form a smooth batter. Scoop the thick batter into the prepared pans, smoothing to the edge of the pans.
- Bake the cakes in a preheated 350°F oven for 14 to 16 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Filling: Combine the instant pudding mix, cream and milk, whisking for about 2 minutes, till the pudding begins to thicken. Set it aside.
- Assembly: Slice each cake in half the long way to make four layers, each about 4 or 5 inches wide and 13 to 15 inches long. Place one of the layers on a serving platter and spread it with the strawberry filling. Top that with a second piece of cake. Spread about one-third of the pudding mixture across that cake layer, followed by the pineapple filling.
- Next, add the third layer of cake. Spread one-third of the pudding over the top of that layer, followed by the sliced bananas. Add the final layer and top it with the remaining pudding. Sprinkle the pudding with chopped nuts, then drizzle it with chocolate sauce. Finally, arrange the cherries on top. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.