Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 med)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12 oz)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, well drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl,cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs,one at a time,beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt;add to creamed mixture alternately with banana and pineapple.
- Fold in the chocolate chips,cherries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
I'm sorry that I have to say I just really didn't like it. I used less Choc. Chips since it seemed everyone mentioned it, but then I felt there weren't enough chips. It just didn't have the flavor I was looking for.
This bread is delicious. I halved the recipe and used 1/2 cup chocolate chips. The second time I made it I added about 1/4 cup coconut. What a wonderful change from plain banana bread. Thanks so much!
WAY too many chocolate chips (and I am a choco-o-holic) but other than that it was VERY tasty! So personally I would recommend only 1 cup of chocolate chips. I also baked mine in a large cake pan instead of two loaf pans. Baked for about 1 hour 10 minutes (until a knife came out clean)