Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is play on the banana split. It's warm banana bread with fresh bananas, chocolate ganach, crushed pineapple, candied walnuts and whipped cream. It's much easier than it sounds! Very impressive dessert :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large banana, very ripe, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, canned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (halves or large pieces)
- 1 cup whipped cream (or cool whip)
- 2 large bananas
- vanilla ice cream
- BREAD: Grease and flour 1 loaf pan. Mix together dry ingredients. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at time. Scrape bowl. Add dry ingredients, then fold in mashed banana. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. The outside of the bread will get quite dark, but test with a toothpick for doneness in the center. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn out of pan.
- GANACH: While bread is baking. Put chocolate chips in a small bowl. Heat cream and sugar until just about to boil. Pour over the chips and let set for 1 minutes. Whisk together until all chocolate is melted. If the chocolate doesn't melt completely, microwave for 20 seconds and stir again. Repeat until all is melted. Set aside at room temperature.
- PINEAPPLE: While bread is baking. Mix together, pineapple, vanilla and zest in a small bowl. Set aside at room temperature.
- WALNUTS: At the end of the bread baking. Bring the sugar and water to a boil. Add the walnuts and let simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the nuts and spread evenly on a cookie sheet. Once bread is done, roast in the oven at 325 degrees, for about 20 minutes. Stir one or twice. Check often, to make sure they are not burning. The are done when they "snap" in the center. Crunchy all the way through.
- ASSEMBLY: Peel bananas, and slice in half length ways. Slice banana bread to desired thickness and place one plate or in bowl. Lay a banana half over or next to bread. Top with two or three small scoops of ice cream. Top each scoop if ice cream with chocolate ganach, crushed pineapple, chopped candied walnuts, and whipped cream. Enjoy!
- All the toppings can be made up to 5 days in advance. The pineapple can be used cold or warm. To reheat ganach either place in a sauce pan over very low heat and stir constantly until just hot enough to pour or microwave at 30 second intervals stirring after each one. Do not over heat! The walnuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature You will have left over banana bread.
This is such a creative recipe. It's original, interesting, and appealing. I found that it all came together very easily, though your oven must be hotter than mine, as the bread took about an hour to bake in mine. The bananas really shine through in the bread. I like the twist that lemon and vanilla add to the pineapple topping, and the glazed walnuts are so good, I could eat them by themselves. My only trouble with this is that I think a banana split isn't quite complete without strawberries. I used strawberry ice cream the second day, and found I liked that very well. Great job on your recipe creation, and good luck in RSC!