Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nice alternative to Banana Bread when you have ripe bananas to use up. My family prefers these to bread - these don't last long in our house
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup banana, mashed ripe (3 med)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and bananas; mix up well.
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients; then add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Stir in raisins.
- Chill (dough will be very soft).
- Drop by round teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nice cookie. I added an extra half cup of flour to stiffen the dough up. It worked great. I added 1/2 cup cinnamon chips instead of the raisins. I also didn't have any cloves so I used some nutmeg. I know the flavor isn't the same but it turned out good.
Additional kudos - with organic peanut butter and fresh chopped apples, these cookies made a fantastic power snack before going hiking! Yummy and nutritious. Great fluffy cookie! Close to what my Mom used to make (which I am still trying to get to replicate). I split the dough adding fresh finely chopped apples (2 tbl) to 1/2 and natural crunchy peanut butter (3-4tbl) to other half since I didn't have raisins. Both turned out tasty. Thanks!!
Interesting taste and very fluffy cookies! I added 1 tsp vanilla, some cocoa powder and instead of raisins I added crushed pecans. Thanks!