Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Old Mission San Juan Capistrano Cookbook
Make and share this Banana Spice Cake With Seafoam Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 dash salt
For swirls on top of frosting
- 2 (1 ounce) squares sweet baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
For very top
- 1 large banana, sliced
- For cake:.
- Sift dry ingredients into large mixer bowl.
- Add shortening, buttermilk, and mashed bananas.
- Mix until all flour is dampened.
- Beat at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Turn batter into 3 (8") or 2 (9") greased and floured layer cake pans.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger tip.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine frosting ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Beat slightly to mix.
- Place over rapidly boiling water.
- Beat with rotary egg beater or electric mixer at high speed until frosting stands in peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 t vanilla.
- Beat 1 to 2 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
- Spread frosting between cake layers.
- Put layers together.
- Frost cake.
- For swirls, melt chocolate and butter.
- Make swirls by spooning melted chocolate and butter into frosting swirls.
- Spoon melted chocolate into swirls.
- Top with banana slices.