Recipe Junkie's Note:
From the Old Mission San Juan Capistrano Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
For swirls on top of frosting
- 2 (1 ounce) squares sweet baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
For very top
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1For cake:.
- 2Sift dry ingredients into large mixer bowl.
- 3Add shortening, buttermilk, and mashed bananas.
- 4Mix until all flour is dampened.
- 5Beat at low speed for 2 minutes.
- 6Add eggs.
- 7Beat 1 minute.
- 8Turn batter into 3 (8") or 2 (9") greased and floured layer cake pans.
- 9Bake in a moderate oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger tip.
- 10For Frosting:.
- 11Combine frosting ingredients in top of double boiler.
- 12Beat slightly to mix.
- 13Place over rapidly boiling water.
- 14Beat with rotary egg beater or electric mixer at high speed until frosting stands in peaks, about 7 minutes.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16Add 1 t vanilla.
- 17Beat 1 to 2 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
- 18Spread frosting between cake layers.
- 19Put layers together.
- 20Frost cake.
- 21For swirls, melt chocolate and butter.
- 22Make swirls by spooning melted chocolate and butter into frosting swirls.
- 23Spoon melted chocolate into swirls.
- 24Top with banana slices.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Spice Cake With Seafoam Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.8
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 46.0 mg
- Sodium 516.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 73.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g