I got this recipe from the Kraft Food and Family magazine. Each bit of this unbelievable cake brims with the sweet flavor of ripe bananas and a nutty walnut crunch. Plus, it gets a head start from a boxed cake mix to save you time. Time to make does not include cooling time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Beat cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream and oil in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, stopping frequently to scrape bottom and side of bowl.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating after each addition until well blended.
- Remove cake from pan, cut crosswise in half.
- Place one cake half, top-side down, on large serving plate.
- spread top with frosting.
- Top with remaining cake half, top-side up.
- Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Carefully press walnuts into frosting on side of cake.
- Store any leftovers in refrigerator.
- Tip: Neatly frost this cake by freezing cake layers about 20 minutes before frosting.
- This helps to set the crumbs on the cut edges of the cake layers so they don't pull up into the frosting.
- Don't worry if the frosting doesn't look perfect on the sides of the cake; the walnuts will cover any imperfections.