Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
another large cake, great for bake sales
- 250 g butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup boiling milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Soften butter.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale.
- Gradually add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Peel and mash the bananas.
- Add the bananas and sour cream to the batter.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Fold into the banana mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk.
- Add to the banana mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased and lined 32cm x 22cm roasting dish.
- Bake at 180C degrees for about 1 hour or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- when cold, ice with chocolate icing.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl.
- Beat in the butter.
- Add sufficient hot water to give a spreadable icing.
This is a tasty, dense cake. I used VERY ripe bananas, but it did not turn out very sweet. I would like it a bit sweeter, but the family liked it and it is a BIG cake. Great for company or bake sales, as stated. Thanks!
I made this cake and it is really great! I only used 1/2 the ingrediants as it seemed like a ton and I made two round cakes. I also added some vanilla and brown sugar to the cake mix. In the middle of my two round cakes I made a peanut butter bananna fluff. And topped it with the icing here except it seemed a little thin so I added more powerded sugar and some corn starch. THANK YOU!
my comment is as follows:I liked the cake but it was very large and Heavy. I thought it would have been light since the batter was. It did not rise