Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
A low fat recipe from Silvana Franco. Creates a crisp tasty bread which does not require any rising nor contains any yeast.
- 200 g strong whole wheat flour
- 200 g plain flour, plus extra
- flour, for kneading and dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 ripe bananas
- 250 ml buttermilk or 250 g low-fat yogurt
- 100 ml 1% low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 220/gas 7. Mix the flours, salt , sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
- Peel the bananas and mash them to a pulp.
- Add to the flour with the buttermilk or yoghurt and enough semi-skimmed milk to make a firm (but not dry) dough.
- Knead lightly until smooth, then shape into a 23-cm (9-inch) round.
- Cut the round into six wedges. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned and crusty. Cool on a wire rack.