Recipe by Mom2Rose
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 9 servings.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup solid shortening (Crisco)
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar and then walnuts - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- BANANA SNACK CAKE GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup solid shortening (Crisco) and 2 eggs.
- BANANA SNACK CAKE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, blend the bananas, buttermilk, shortening and eggs.
- Add the contents of the jar and stir well.
- Pour the batter into a generously greased 8x8 inch pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.