Recipe by barefootmommawv
I find this to be super sweet but its oh so yummy! This is great as cup cakes.
Top Review by appleydapply
These were yummy. I made into 18 cupcakes which were done in 20 minutes. I didn't make the frosting b/c I had leftover chocolate ganache from Recipe #241438. They were wonderful with the chocolate but I'm sure they'd be delicious w/ the brown sugar frosting also. Thanks for sharing this recipe; made for 1-2-3 tag.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in bananas and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- If desired for frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost the cooled cake.